Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:19:51 -0800

I contacted ConAgra Foods because I am having a gluten reaction to something and thought it might be the peanut butter that I just started eating. The only other new thing in my diet has Philadelphia Cream Cheese. From their response (below), it seems that the peanut butter is GF. However, I've decided to cut it out anyway and see if my symptoms improve.
  Angela Taylor
  ___________

  February 27, 2008

Dear Ms. Taylor,

Your communication concerning our Peter Pan No Sugar Added Creamy Peanut Butter was most welcome.  We appreciate comments and questions from our consumers.

All varieties of Peter Pan Peanut Butter are made without adding any potential gluten-containing ingredients such as wheat, rye, barley, and oats.   At present, ConAgra does not have a list of "gluten free" products. If you have a question regarding another specific product please let us know. We would be happy to research your request.

I also wanted to provide you with some general information regarding our products.  The flour used in our products is often wheat flour and should be avoided by individuals with gluten sensitivities.  Some fermented or distilled products, such as vinegar, may be derived from wheat. We suggest you speak with your physician to determine if you need to avoid distilled products derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. We always advise consumers who may have sensitivities to recheck the ingredient list on each package. Products are oftentimes reformulated and the ingredients may change.  If Natural Flavors, Artificial Flavors, or Spices listed in the ingredients list contained wheat, oat, barley, or rye, these ingredients would be listed in parenthesis immediately following the ingredient

We do manufacture a variety of products in the same plant or on shared equipment to achieve optimal quality and improve manufacturing efficiency.  We have a strong allergen and species control programs to prevent cross contamination of products in our plants.  For example, we follow strict production practices regarding the manufacturing schedules of
 products which contain allergens to ensure the lowest risk of potential cross contamination.  We employ the highest standards in sanitation in our storage, production and distribution facilities to further decrease the risk of cross contamination.  In addition, the Food and Drug
 Administration and USDA Food Safety Inspection Service require us to follow careful guidelines, called Good Manufacturing Practices, for cleaning equipment between production runs.  Likewise, allergenic ingredients are carefully stored so as not to come into contact with other raw materials.

We would also like to take this opportunity to invite you to visit our collection of recipes at:
 www.conagrafoods.com/consumer/recipes/index.jsp.  You can also sign up to receive the latest information on our recipes from our brands and useful tips for your kitchen.  Navigate to the link above and go to the

"Sign Up Now" icon on the right side of the page. We appreciate your interest in ConAgra Foods.

We appreciate your patronage and value our customers.  We hope you will continue to enjoy our line of quality food.

Sincerely,

Kristi G.
ConAgra Foods Consumer Affairs

Reference Number:  051908942A