Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:49:55 -0700

I have received numerous responses to my query
regarding problems I had possibly due to eating
Kellogg's Corn Pops. The support and response from the
members of this board is truly amazing. Thank you!  I
have tried to thank all of you personally, but if I
inadvertently left someone out, please be assured that
I am very grateful for all the help.

What follows is a summary of what I've learned from
you all:

I received ~24 responses. Of these, 6 responders said
they have eaten this brand of Corn Pops with no
problem. 3 stated they had problems. 6 mentioned they
would not eat Kelloggs' cereals as they are made on
wheat-contaminated lines. 3 noted I may have an
additional problem with corn products. 2 people
suggested there may be a connection between Corn Pops
and either barley or non-FDA-approved Star Link corn.

2 responders noted that the ingredients of Corn Pops
can vary depending on state, and on whether it was
produced in the US (GF, but on contaminated lines) or
in Canada (contains malt).

I also received some responses about the Japanese
foods I'd ingested the previous evening. There was 1
suggestion that perhaps I have a soy problem related
to the ingestion of the GF soy sauce I'd had the night
before. Someone also informed me that in sushi
preparation, sometimes the seaweed has been soaked in
soy sauce prior to preparation of the sushi rolls. I
had not known this before and will ask next time I
order sushi. There was also 1 person who told me that
in the preparation of green seaweed salad, the seaweed
might be prepared using distilled vinegar or pickling.

I plan on avoiding seaweed salad in the future, until
I can get a better handle on how it is prepared.

Lastly, 2 or 3 people noted that the rice puff cereal
I ate mixed with the Corn Pops may have malt in it.

This is A&P brand rice puff cereal and it does not
list malt in the ingredients. I thought I'd read
somewhere on the 'net that this brand was GF, but now
I can't find the source (perhaps it was wishful
thinking?) It is certainly something to consider.

Again, thank you to everyone who was kind enough to
respond. I hope as I become more knowledgeable about
celiac that I'll be able to offer similar support.

-Nechama