Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:55:20 -0500

Dear listmates -

I had some very interesting responses from list members,
when I asked if the grain teff is gluten-free.

Most list members said it is gluten-free and can be eaten
by Celiacs.  One list member said not to eat it, that it is
in the wheat family.  My own research showed it is related
to millet.

I emailed the CSA/US (Celiac Sprue Association of the USA),
and here is their reply:
"CSA/USA, Inc." wrote:

> Dear Vicki,
>
> According to our Grains List: tef-tef grass or teff. Eragrositis tef.
> Common in health food stores and promoted as gluten-free.
> Rationalized that it is "gluten-free" after cooking or is already
> gluten-free since it is in the "grass family." Not suggested for any
> use by celiacs.
>
> If you would like a copy of grains list please send your mailing
> address and we will get that out to you.
>
> Sincerely,
> CSA/USA

Clearly, CSA/USA feels that Celiacs should not eat teff.

I'll go by what CSA/USA says, since I am very sensitive.  Millet
seems to bother me, too.

Vicki