From:
Susan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:08:08 EST

i had the univ of maryland blood tests done on my sons and i.  i've tried to
figure out what the results mean, and i have a general idea, but not complete
understanding.  here's what i've got:

the form they gave me says iga aga normal (by the elisa method (???)) is <18,
iga igg normal is <24 and the antiendomysium iga normal is <1:4.

My results:  aga iga 14.46 (after being mostly gluten free for 3-4 weeks then
back on for the test for 3-4 weeks), igg 5.64, and ema iga is negative.
their comment is that i have normal antibody levels

#2 son:  iga 6.07, igg 21.56 and ema iga is negative.  their comment is that
he has normal antibody levels

#1 son: iga 24.39, igg 17.16 and ema iga is negative.  their comment is that
his iga aga is elevated, repeat the test in 6 months.

i'm taking this to mean #1 son has/could have celiac?  i told his dad this am
that i would be putting son on gf diet, and he should be on gf diet while at
dad's at least until i could retest.  dad's comment: "well, that'll be next
to impossible."   :::::sigh:::::  and this after him taking great pride in
telling me that his wife never uses processed food in her cooking.  it's not
that hard if you don't use processed foods, i've found.  you think?  it
seemed to help when i told him there were cookbooks for cd and multitudes of
web sites, so he got the clue that i wasn't just coming out of the clear blue
with something i'd made up.  what is it with this country?!?!?!?!?!?!!

sorry, i had to vent just a bit.  at any rate, son did a 180 turnaround after
an accidental 2 week gluten reduced diet, teachers even noticed, so that
right there is more than enough proof for me (accidental diet means i bought
rice crispies instead of cheerios for breakfast, and he quit taking
sandwiches for lunch cause i didn't buy him the right meat <G>).

just reading form again from umc, and they have a comment at the bottom that
if someone has iga deficiency, only the antigliading igg level will be
elevated in case of celiac disease.  does this mean that #2 son could have
potential for cd with iga deficiency?  or is that way way out there???

i can't get into the stjohns archives right now, and don't really understand
the explanations given that i've been able to find.  all help is greatly
appreciated.

thanks,
susan ;)