From:
Kelly Dube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 14:53:52 -0500

I need some advice.  After several years of 'eating problems' I went to an
allergist and tested positive for wheat (and several other foods, etc.).  I
am female, 33, 5'8" and size 6 and eat a high calorie/fat diet (or I will
lose weight) and always feel hungry.

I went on a wheat free diet for 3 weeks and felt a cloud was lifted from my
head - after the 2nd week I could even drink milk again.  Then I found your
list and learned about Celiac and started to eat wheat again for 3 weeks
(extremely miserable, headache, dizzy, bloating) waiting to see a GI.  I
live in a very rural area of upper michigan so I had to drive 400 miles to
see a gastro.  He did a biopsy the next day (no blood tests) and said it was
not consistant with celiac.  He said he would not advise a wheat-free diet
as it has too many restrictions.  The allergist also gave the same answer.

My 10 year old son is constantly complaining with pain and feeling sick
after eating.  His weight is in the 25th percentile and his height is in the
75th.  He refuses to drink milk now.  I do not know whether to bring him to
an allergist or what to do.  The GI said he did not feel the need to see
him.  My family history includes stomach cancer (aunt), intestinal cancer
(mother, uncle), diabetes (younger sister, mother, grandmother).  By the
way, the GI told me cancer has no connection with untreated celiac disease (ug).