From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 07:55:45 -0700

Hi All--

Most of you who wrote re: what the bacteria might be
that the lactose hydrogen breath test is for indicated
the test was for lactose intolerance. When I wrote my
doc's nurse to tell her that I've known for years that
I'm lactose intolerant, she responded with the
paragraph below:

"The breath test would not be for lactose intolerance,
it would be for an overgrowth of normal flora bacteria
from the large bowel "creeping" up into the small
bowel, which causes bloating, pain, diarrhea."

Several people were interested in a summary. I hope
this new information is helpful. Of course, it would
be most helpful if I knew the name of the bacteria
they were searching for....Guess this is all we're
going to get.

Cheers,
Ayn