From:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:45:37 -0500

Summary - Replacements for Beer in recipes

My question was ideas for replacing beer in a recipe.  In this case it was
a marinade for fajitas and called for 1/4 Cup of beer.

Let me say thank you to each of you who took the time to respond.  I
received about 20 replies.

The recipe called for 1/4 C of beer as well as 1/3 C of lime juice and
then various spices.  I chose to use apple cider vinegar as the
replacement for the beer but cut the amount in half.  I can tell you that
this did not work well.  The chicken was much too tangy and somewhat
rubbery I thought.  It wasn't a total disaster (we ate it) but certainly
not great.  I think I will try the Tequilla suggestion next time for this
particular recipe.

Here are the replies I recieved.
Part o
ne - replacements

7-up
Dry cider (several of the people suggested this but I can't say that I
know what it is)
Tequilla -couple tablespoons + water for the remainder
White Wine
Red Wine
Apple juice
Cider
Hard Cider
Vinegar - white balsamic w/a little sugar added
Any liquid - flavor changes based upon which one used

Part Two - actual beers
(beer is controversial I know, these are suggestions that were given so
please make your own determination about whether or not these would be GF)

Bard's beer
Rampo Brewery  (made from honey, rather sweet)
Bud Lite
Mr goodbeer

Thank you again for all of your help!

Kristi