From:
Crystal Dawn Farm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:32:44 -0500

Hi All~

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond. I guess
that my request for the actual "noodle" recipe wasn't clear because most
people who responded told me how to make lasagne with store bought
noodles. Thank you for the recipes and since most were directly out of
books, I won't post the entire recipes here. If you would like a copy of
the recipes, you can e-mail me. One person had a *very* good suggestion
of cutting the noodles to fit the pan instead of smaller noodles! Great
idea!!! I'll send my recipe for lasagne in a separate e-mail.

There were a few good suggestions for using veggies instead of noodles,
but I can't even get eggplant in the summer, much less now. Zucchini is
only available when it ripens in my garden. I plan on trying the
zucchini idea this summer. But they are good suggestions for those of
you who have access to them.

One last thing, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, either
spelling is acceptable -- lasagne or lasagna.

Now, on to the summary...

Do you have Bette Hagman's first cookbook, The Gluten Free Gourmet? In
that book, she lists a number of pasta recipes. I just made a recipe (I
think I doubled it), rolled it out flat and cut it into two huge pasta
squares to fit my pan (I do two layers of pasta in my lasagne), which I
used, instead of 47 smaller lasagne noodles...

I developed this recipe many years ago before g.f. noodles were good.
They should work for lasagna.  Might need to do a double batch (but
start w/ one to see if you like them) and roll them a bit thicker.

"Real Food" Noodles Lieven

1/2 c. Cream of Rice cereal
1/4 c. oriental rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
  2 large eggs
  1 Tbs. vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients together.  Stir in eggs & oil Mix well.  Cover w/
plastic wrap & let set for 15 min.  Divide dough in 2-3 parts.  Roll
between a sheet of waxed paper & a sheet of plastic wrap.  Use potato
starch to keep dough from sticking.  Roll very thin.  Cut w/ a knife or
pizza cutter for noodles-wide or narrow.  Use immediately or dry at room
temp for several hours, then freeze.  Cook in boiling water for 3-5 min,
until done.  Drain & rinse.  Use immediately or put in casserole.  Makes
2-3 cups cooked noodles.

Recipe can be doubled.

two of my favorite lasagna recipes.  They are from the Pillsbury
cookbook of old. (HA).  I prefer the "Lazy-Day Overnight Lasagna (the
entire recipes were sent to me if anyone wants a copy)

I use zucchinis sliced length wise instead of lasagna.  (Believe it or
not in it tastes better then regular lasagna.)  Just use a little less
moisture then in your usual recipe.

Last week I made some very good Lasagna using peeled, sliced eggplant
(1/8 - 1/4" slices) in place of noodles.  I salted the eggplant and let
them sit for a while, rinsed them and then I put some olive oil on them
and baked them in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes at 375
degrees.  My husband who does not have Celiac could not tell the
difference.  I'd try this one again.

I do not eat lasagna so I don't have a recipe, but you will be able to
find one on the delphi.com/celiac forum.

Again, thanks everyone!
~Crystal in a very remote part of Maine