From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:00:13 -0700

My original post asked for recommendations for brands and enzyme
products that folks on the list were using and liked.

I got about 25 responses -- Thanks!!  It appears that there are many
different brands that work for different individuals.  Several people
indicated they tried several brands before they found one that
worked.  A couple of people said a particular product worked for a
while and then was no longer effective and they had to change.  Some
prefer animal based-enzymes and other prefer plant-based enzymes and
some use prescription enzymes.  Summary and list of brands is below
-- all comments are from respondents.  I have noted in parentheses
cases when a brand or product was used by different people.  A couple
of people recommended buying enzymes from www.vitacost.com as they
have the best prices.  I have included websites or other contact
numbers where they were provided.

As always, read the bottles and make calls to make sure that the
formulations are still gluten free and otherwise safe for your diet
requirements.  Take no chances!!

*  Twinlabs digestive enzymed
*  VRP digestive enzymes (www.vrp.com)
*  VegiZyme by Bio-genesis  (not always available from health food
stores -- address on the bottle says Bio-Genesis Nutraceuticals, Mill
Creek, Washington  98012.  Helps with constipation.
*  Ultra plan digestive enzymes (1/2 capsule as they are strong)
*  Kirkman Labs - 2 people mentioned this brand.  One specified using
Enzyme-Complete DPP-IV with Isogest; the other said she noticed a
huge difference when switched from TwinLabs.  1 800 245 8282 or
kirkmangroup.com .  Their plant is gluten free and they are cutting
edge with their products.
*  Enzymatic
*  One 100 IU capsule of rice bran oil capsule vitamin to help with
fat tolerance.
*  AbsorbAid enzymes (but they are made with corn so be aware if that
gives you trouble.
*  iFLORA probiotic useful to help after an antibiotic.
(www.sedonalabs.com)
*  Mannatech enzymes and probiotics
*  Jarrow Formulas Zymes Plus
*  Digestin by Progressive Labs
*  Pro-Gest-Ade (1) and Similase (1)  by Enzymatic Therapy
www.prevail.com
*  Digest Gold (1) and  Digest (1)  from Enzymedica
*  Creon capsules (prescribed by a doctor for pancreatic
insufficiency)  Creon website:  http://snipurl.com/1g2pf
*  Zyme-aid by Country Life    www.country-life.com
*  Bio-Gest by Thorne,  Highline HCl, Soloray HCl plus pepsin, extra
strength (the one without the papaya leaf in it it.)
* For acid reflux symptoms, try "Heartburn Free"(by Enzymatic therapy
or PhytoPharmica, same company).  (NOTE:  Our daughter has tried this
and it made her sick for a couple of days, so it isn't for everyone.)
*  Natren.com      Bifodo Factor   and   MegaAcidinous  -- take one
hour before eating in the morning.
*  Culturelle (CVS sells it over the counter).  This is a probiotic.
*  Lipanase by Douglas Labs  www.douglaslabs.com
*  McNEIL  Pancrease MR 4
*  Doctor prescribed - Pangestyme UL 18.  (May also come in lower
doses.) The enteric coated was the key for me.

Other Comments:
*  Try a DGL licorice for heartburn symptoms.
*  Specific carbohydrate diet can help in some cases.
*  Some folks find HCl can upset the stomach.
*  Vitamin C/Ascorbic acid is as essential  part of maintaining
stomach acid as HCL.
*  One person also reminded that to heal the gut, her nutritionist
recommends taking l-glutamine plus probiotics at each meal.

Jackie in AZ