From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:28:06 -0500

Recently we were in Boston/Cambridge and I requested information about
eating in this area.  I had many kind responses, and we tried some of
them.  Of course, I couldn't eat at all of them in 6 days, but here is
my summary of where we ate.

The best meals were at Legal Seafoods  in Kendall Square.  I think their
website is lsf.com, or something like that.  Phone 617 864-3400.  After
talking to the waiter, we decided to jsut ask for what we wanted.  This
was usually a piece of fresh fish done on the grill, with either a baked
potato or the mashed potatoes and a salad.  It all came with some
wonderful green beans, but we requested steamed snow peas instead.  They
were very gracious about letting us substitute.  The waiter was named
Robert, and he was so helpful.  The manager came around to double check
on my selections and restrictions.  I sent a sheet back to the chef with
a list of forbidden things.  Robert came to the table with a binder that
had all the different items with the ingredients listed.  What a
concept!  So we double checked on the mashed potatoes and the salad
dressing I had selected.  They could not have been nicer.  I packaged up
more than half of it to take back to the Residence Inn around the corner
where we stayed.  It was instant lunch for the next day.  I had scrod
one night, halibut once, and a lobster.  All were done perfectly.  I
always ask which fish is the freshest and if it has been frozen.

The other place I love is called The Elephant Walk. at 900 Beacon St.
Boston, Ma 02215.  617 492-6900.  www.elephantwalk.com or

We were invited to go there for a business dinner by someone who did not
know about my requirements.  I found the place through a restaurant
search, and e-mailed them concerning what to order on the menu without
too much fuss.  I received a phone call from the chef, and several
e-mails.  There were many things I could have.  I was torn between the
fancy name for duck stew or the tiger shrimp. It is a French/Cambodian
place, and I decided to go Cambodian, since I can order French
anywhere.  It was excellent.  No trouble, and leftovers once again went
home for lunch the next day. (the shrimp)  Mango sherbert for dessert.
Those of you in this area should try it.

The other  place recommended that I tried was a big disappointment.
Several people praised it, but I wonder if they even had eaten there.
Marche is in the shopping mall at the Prudential Bldg, near the Marriott
and the convention center, where my husband's meeting was held.  I met
him there for lunch.  There are different stations where you can order
different items, after standing in that line.  I found beautiful fresh
fish on display, but the grill had half an inch of soy sauce marinade
gunked on it.  The skillets for sauting were the same.   When I asked if
he could clean out the skillet he said no, he had no place to do that.
It was full of a greasy black liquid.  Everything was marinated.  The
chicken station was the same.  Even the Asian food had soy sauce all
over.  I ended up at the beef steak section, where the guy could scrub a
corner of his grill to cook my Angus steak.  When I took it to my table
it was obvious that it had been coated in a powdered substance.  When I
got up, went back, butt in the line, and asked, he said it was only
salt, pepper and paprika and seemed shocked that I wouldn't want that.
At the salad bar I got a plate, got my ticket stamped and started down
the row, only to find that lettuce was the only thing there I could
have.  All the other bowls contained pasta salads and mixtures with many
ingredients.  The servers didnt really know what was in them.  Then the
dressing was at the end.  The balsamic vinegar was in a bottle (fine)
but the olive oil was in a widemouth bowl that was positioned right
under the toaster oven where croutons are "fresh-made".  There were
crumbs all settled in the bottom of the oil.  My husband asked for some
clean olive oil and it took a long time for a manager to find some.  I
had a lettuce salad and a piece of meat, and had celiac symptoms within
a few hours.  I know this is long, but I hope to warn celiacs from
assuming anything when you can see the food preparation.

Otherwise, there were these suggestions, omitting the chain restaurants.

Truc at 560 Tremont Street
Brown Rice near Symphony Hall
Skipjacks in Brookline nad Needham
Woodman's in Essex
Turner Fisheries
Anthony's Pier 4
Austin Grill (but I live in south Texas and have Tex-Mex here at home)
A Tibetan restaurant in Cambridge, near MIT ( I looked in the restaurant
guide in the room and there were about ten of them listed!
Fire and Ice in Harvard Square
Pho Pasteur
Masa on  Tremont St.
Naked Fish, cuban food
Lives
Salts near Harvard

I had several requests to share what I got from the list, so here it is.