From:
Michelle Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:26:34 -0400

Thank you for all the responses to my weight loss inquiry.  I was overwhelmed and very touched by how many responses I received and how open so many of you were to share your stories.  I realize this can be a very personal and difficult subject for many of us.  It is comforting to know there is so much support out there available to all of us.

The summary is below - sorry it gets a bit long with all of the responses.  I kept the more personal stories out of the summary.

As for me, I am going to join Weight Watchers on-line since it worked for me in the past.  I know I can do it I just have to commit to it - who doesn't want to start a diet before the holidays?!?  I am also going to look into the other suggested programs and books.

Best of luck to all of you!

The majority of my responses were success with Weight Watchers, Paleo Diet (no grains, no white potatoes, no sugar, no legumes, no dairy & no artificial sweetners), South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, a nutritionist, 17-day diet plan, and one with Medi-Weight Loss. One person also suggested Shakeology and one suggested the Ideal Protein diet.  One suggested using a glucose meter and using this site-  www.bloodsugar101.com

There were just a couple individuals that did not have success with any plans.

For Weight Watchers some suggested using the old Points system vs. the new Points Plus system.  The online program was highly suggested because of the gluten-free resources.  They have a tab for special diets including gluten free.  Whichever plan you do use you cannot eat most, if any(?) of their products.  Personally, I think they have very tasty recipes and own several cookbooks - they are easy to convert using our gluten-free products.

South Beach diet - one response was "I have had success with the South Beach diet, but only Phase 1. Once you move, or are supposed to move, to Phase 2 after two weeks on Phase 1, you are to introduce the whole wheat products, multigrain stuff.  All the stuff we can't eat and there is no gluten free substitute.  Granted one could stay on Phase 1, but you are really limited by what you can eat (can't eat carrots for instance on Phase 1)."

Keeping a food journal, counting calories, watching portions, no snacking in-between meals, and exercise. One person has her own routine of these things that works and she is able to cheat on the weekends (she has already lost 30lbs!).

If you stick to a basic healthy diet of lean meats, fruits & vegetables, low fat dairy, and whole gluten free grains (brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, cornmeal, etc.) it's totally possible.

Other suggestions:

-SparkPeople.com - A free site with a food/exercise tracker and tons of resources from the community.  Again, like WW, there are lots of GF people to get ideas and recipes from.
-GlutenFreeFitness.com - All sorts of good advice on fitness and healthy living on the GF diet
-SimplySugarandGlutenFree.com - Amy Green writes a fabulous blog on healthy recipes using non-refined sugar (she also shares she incredible weight loss story)
-Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Fast & Healthy cookbook.
-Any other gluten free "diet" cookbooks. such as "American Dietetic Association Easy Gluten-Free: Expert Nutrition Advice with More than 100 Recipes"; "Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free: 180 Easy and Delicious Recipes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less"; and these others
-Biggest Loser Cookbook.  I love this cookbook.  Granted, it's not "gluten free", but there are tons of recipes in there that naturally don't contain gluten.  There is also a delicious recipe for pancakes that calls for oat flour (get Bob's Red Mill GF oat flour)

"If you'll just reduce/eliminate your starches and sugars and increase your proteins, you'll have better luck."

"Out-of-whack hormones can also prevent weight loss -- female, thyroid, adrenal, cortisol, etc."

Gluten-Free Naked Oats in Montana was suggested as a healthy food option (which I happily signed up for my free bag to try!)

"Counting calories using the "My Fitness Pal" website and app (free)" and "online programs like fitday.com that are free, and while focused on calorie counting and fitness, can be useful tools to have a central place to store all your info (i hate carrying around little books and notepads- i'm at my computer all day anyway)."

Books - Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst, "Why We Are Fat" by Gary Taubes

The Rosedale Diet, by Dr. Ron Rosedale who is a diabetic doctor in Denver

The responses of amount lost ranged from 10 lbs - 90lbs