From:
Shannon O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shannon O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:37:14 -0400

 Sorry, everyone.  I know I should have had this out to you sooner, but I was away for awhile and work suddenly decided to pick up the pace a lot.  Thanks so much for all the responses.  I’m still a little confused as to what is going on, but the symptoms have subsided somewhat for now.  Maybe it’s just a cyclic thing (i.e. I have good bouts and bad bouts).  The original question, in brief, was:
 “My guts been acting up again and the only thing I could tie it to was reactions to fructose-glucose.  If there is anyone out there with this type of intolerance/allergy and can tell me what it entails, what the symptoms were, ect. I'd really appreciate it.”

 Here are the responses.
Fructose intolerant
Symptoms: huge amounts of gas, bloated and extreme pain in the abdomen-- diarrhea.

What happens: Body produces lactic acid (very dangerous) at a phenomenal rate from fructose. This damages muscles, organs, etc. Sucrose (sugar as we know it) is ½ fructose.

Diet: (1) The number of foods you can eat are few due mainly to the fructose problem. Anything that has starch in it or converted to starch in the body is off limits. No longer eat potatoes or rice.  Diet consists mainly of fish, chicken, veggies that are low in sugar content, and lettuce. Absolutely no fruit.  (2) Severely restricted fructose/sucrose regimen, pretty tough considering the gluten restrictions as well. There are a lot of sugar-free products out now in diabetic stores that are good for you even if you're not a diabetic (salad dressing; frozen yogurt; ketchup; chocolates; even margarita mix etc.).  But, “better discuss it with your physician before launching on it because it restricts a lot of fruits and fructose-rich vegetables that you would not want to deny yourself unless you had to.”

To determine whether fructose is the actual problem: Get a fructose challenge.

 Website: http://www.hfi.ch/eng/front.htm  -- about hereditary fructose intolerance. (Thanks, Pat).

Other possibilities
1. Check out Candida albicans.

2. One suggested that I may be sensitive to citric acid, and it’s true I am.  But it’s a completely different reaction, more heartburn related.

3. Another thought that since the villa were damaged I couldn’t handle fructose.  This is a possibility, but it seems to be a new reaction and I would hope that having given my stomach a break from January it would start to be better now.

4. “If you are gluten-sensitive, then often people develop "delayed onset food allergies" AFTER they go gf. Some doctors recommend ELISA testing at this point. You could have an IGG allergy to anything: peaches, tomatoes. If you are taking plain fructose and glucose for some reason, those can give diarrhea all by themselves, at least in kids: our doctor warned against fruit juice because it doesn't have the right sugar to fiber ratio.” This is a possibility.

5. Have the wrong gut flora and fauns.  Should use kefir to regain balance in it.  Right now, I’m trying to do the same but with probiotics.

6. One person suggested “Breaking the Vicious”.  I’ve already tried that, and am willing to endorse it as a stepping stone and to help clarify a lot of the issues, but there is no way I could survive on that diet for a long period of time.  I wasn’t getting near enough of the vitamins and minerals that I needed and was losing rate faster than when I was severely sick.

 And the overall general consensus was see my doctor.

Thanks again to all who responded and helped me gain some clarity on the subject.  Really sorry for the delay in getting this summary out.

Shannon O'Connor