From:
Carolynn Maltas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolynn Maltas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:44:44 -0500

I was given permission to print this recipe by Rebecca Reilly, the
author of Gluten Free Baking.  It was used in her cooking demonstration
at the GIG conference in Denver this past June and received raves.

FRENCH BREAD

makes 2 baguettes

This French bread has a nice crisp, crunchy crust. When I first made it,
my 82 year old father literally ate an entire loaf in 1 day. Even though
I had forgotten the salt, he insisted I not change the recipe when
making it again for him.

4 teaspoons flax meal

1 cup water

1 cup Authentic Foods brown rice flour

1/3 cup sorghum or garfava

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1/4 cup stone ground cornmeal

3/4 cups potato starch

2/3 cups powdered milk of choice--I love powdered almond milk

3 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 teaspoon egg replacer

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

2 packages dry gluten free yeast

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1 1/2-2 cups warm water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil with olive oil a double
baguette mold and sprinkle with stone ground cornmeal.

Whisk the flax meal and the 1 cup water together in a small sauce pan.
Bring to a boil and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove
from the heat and set it aside until ready to use.

In the mixing bowl of your mix master, blend all the dry ingredients
together thoroughly. Start the machine slowly as you add the warm flax
gel, vinegar and 1 cup of the warm water. Raise the speed to medium and
add more water until you have a very thick cake batter-like consistency.
On high speed beat for 4 minutes.

Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared baguette molds. Using a pastry
brush and olive oil, brush the tops of the loaves to smooth them out.
Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Place in a warm, draft
free place for about 20 minutes or until the dough has almost doubled.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. The loaves are done if
they sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a cooling rack.

To Make Crostini:

The baguettes are easier to slice thinly the second or third day

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the loaves about 1/4 -1/3 inch
thick. Brush one side lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Arrange the
slices on a baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes turn over and bake
for another 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove and cool. Store
in an air tight container.