From:
Christie Lundy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 09:08:49 -0600

 I have beening reading a book called "The Complete Guide to
Food Allegeries and Intolerances" (cant remember the author)
that I picked up at the library. In one portion of the book,
the author talks about milk allergies in infants. He offers
suggestions such as boiling the milk and removing the whey
that forms on the top layer or using a synthetic milk substitute
containing hydrolyzed casein, arrowroot starch, corn syrup, and
cant remember if anything else. He refers to hydrolyzed casein
as pre-digested casein. Does this mean that hydrolyzed casein
is OK for someone with casein intolerence? If it is hydrolyzed,
does this mean that the protein is already broken down into
the various amino acids? I have a bad reaction to milk protein
and have been all of my life. If anything lists casein as an
ingredient, I put it back on the shelf. Most canned tuna fish
lists hydrolyzed casein as an ingredient.

One other question along the same line. Do the enzyme supplements
offered by the health food stores (ones containing proteinase)
help someone who is gluten and casein intolerant?

                                  Christie

P.S. Lisa, I thought your paper was very informative and beautifully
written. Many thanks.