From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:30:53 -0500

Hi Listmates,

After seven months of trying, I finally got some information from
Walmart about who to contact to find out about the gluten content of
their Great Value and Sam's Choice food items.  You can call Sharon
Nichols at 501-273-8159 and she will be happy to answer your questions.

She did say that the Great Value Peach and Apricot-Pineapple preserves
are GF.  Also all of their Great Value regular spices in jars are GF
with the exception of their bacon bits (which I really don't consider a
spice anyway).  She did not know about any of the packets of seasonings.

She took me by such surprise when she called that I couldn't think about
other items to ask her about.  She did say that it might take a couple
of days for her to check on items and then get back to us when we call.

She also mentioned that Walmart is in the process of changing all of
their labeling for their products to indicate, for instance, not just
modified food starch, but modified CORN starch or modified WHEAT starch
-- whatever the case may be.  The new labeling should identify
everything in the product by name and not just general statements like
the above one or natural flavorings.  I hope she is right about this!
It would certainly make our lives a lot easier.

When I get a chance, I plan to come up with a list of other items that I
used to use before the family went on the GF diet  and give her a call
and ask her to check on them for me.  I will let you all know what I
find out.

Thanks to all of you for your support and help over the past seven
months.  My family really appreciates it.

Barbara in Illinois