From:
"Bradley E. Hoge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:40:48 -0500

Thank you to every one who responded to my request for clarification of
hidden soy.  Like gluten, soy can be hidden in many unexpected places.  I
will try to summarize the comments and suggestions I recieved as briefly as
possible.

1.  Two people suggested a connection between my reaction to tofu and the
fermentation involved in making tofu.  One mentioned the success a gf diet
has had in fighting a yeast/candida infection and another stated that all
fermented products caused trouble.

2.  Though not all lecithen is from soy, most is, and all lecithen should
be avoided.  There is a lecithen derived from eggs that can be purchased
for recipes, however.

3.  While lecithen is a common (if not omnipresent) ingredient in chocolate
and other candies, kosher cholcolate and swiss chocalate are reportedly
safe.

4.  Vitamen E is usually derived from soy.

5.  All unknown oils and vegetable shortenings should be avoided.

6.  Mono and di-glycerides in margarine are derived from soy.

7.  One post said that a soy allergy page on the internet stated that
hydrogenated soybean products usually  have no effect on people with soy
allergies.  She confirmed this from her own experience.

8.  One doctor told a member of this listserve that soy contains gliaden
and that protein products (such as powders) are especially concentrated.
This is interesting if we could confirm this or dispute it.  The docter
could not produce his source of this information.

9.  I was also reminded by many that many of the hidden sources of soy are
also notorious sources of hidden gluten.  Especially flavourings and
vegatable proteins.  I must admit to having become a little lax with my
scrutiny of these possible sources of gluten.

Thank you to everybody who responded.  I hope this summary is helpful.

Dr. Bradley E. Hoge
Wetland Center for Biogeochemical Research
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Dept.
Rice University
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX  77005-1892