From:
Sue Ledbetter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Ledbetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:16:19 -0500

A late response came in on the diverticulitis, so here it is. : - )

 My husband was diagnosed (based on symptoms only) w/ diverticulosis/itis
in his 20s.  He suffered from "giardia" symptoms for years (he's a fish
biologist and would swim/snorkel rivers doing research).  Our four
children have Celiac as do I, but so do his brother and mother.  My
husband had what they thought was Sjogren's syndrom as a boy, skinny,
etc.  His bloodwork came back w/ high antibodies only (IgG) and positive
genetic disposition.  but he won't go off gluen since the endoscopic
biopsy was negative and he didn't have classic positive bloodwork.  I know
he has all sorts of atypical as well as typical symptoms of celiac but
won't go gf...too hard he says.  So...basically its just a matter of time
before something MAKES him deal with it....too bad.  By the way, his
mother had diverticulitis for years and did have a portion of her
colon/intestine? removed as it was perforated and she nearly died.  She
self diagnosed after being desperate.  The docs wouldn't consider Celiac.
Her mother died of esophogeal cancer at 60 and never smoked.  Fishy, eh?
Just a brief run-down of "non-celiac" symptoms and their results!!!