Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:03:30 -0700

Well.....after my summary was posted, others responded that McCann's
oatmeal had been shown to be NOT gluten free. (See below) Sadly, I retract
my enthusiasm over McCann's and hope that a certified gf brand of oatmeal
will, indeed, appear on the market some time in the near future.

Nina  : (
Diagnosed 1996

One member wrote me...........
"Don't want to dash your hopes about oatmeal and McCann's  oatmeal
specifically, but Gluten Free Living did an article not too long ago  where
they had random samples of McCann's, Quaker, and one other (can't recall)
tested for gluten... while McCann's was very good most of the time (low
numbers), one of the samples was very high in gluten. Quaker was
inconsistent,  but mostly high. The other one also had fairly high amounts
in I recall. Gluten  Free Living concluded that celiacs could not safely
consume these oatmeals at  this time. Therefore, I passed the McCann's
oatmeal that I had purchased (and  eagerly anticipated) on to a non-celiac.
It is possible to purchase back  issues of Gluten Free Living if you want
to see the research  yourself."

Another member wrote....
"As of Nov. 04 McCann's Oat meal is not Gluten Free! Here in Minnesota we
received an alert by them."

And another.........
"Just thought you'd want to know that even with McCann's it's a crapshoot.
This study found even McCann's has some containers with more than 200 ppm.
This was in the New England Journal of Medicine. "

Nina Spitzer
Celiac Support of Greater Phoenix
<www.phoenixceliac.com>
A Non-Profit CDF Connection Group