From:
Rick and Laurie Lochner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:20:50 -0800

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks so much to all of the people who
responded to my question. The question was whether a
blood test is a definitive diagnosis for celiac
disease without having a biopsy. I received 29
should be sufficient. The main reasons for their
answers were:

1) It would have been an unnecessary invasion and
trauma for a child.

2) A biopsy is needed only if blood tests are negative
or inconclusive.

3) Several had same situation, and advised not to do a
biopsy if unnecessary and she is doing well on a
gluten-free diet.

4) If blood test is positive, it is 100% accurate. It
has a 20% chance of being wrong if negative. No such
thing as a false positive.

4 people stated that they would have the biopsy done.

Reasons were:

1) A biopsy is only sure way of knowing if celiac or
not.

2) Doctors had said blood tests were inconclusive and
didn't put much stock in them as evaluation of celiac
disease.

I guess from the answers I received, I am convinced
that I do not need to put my daughter through the
trauma of a biopsy. She is doing well on the
gluten-free diet. I needed to ease my mind that this
is definately what she has and not something else
because she didn't have the biopsy. Thanks for all the
wonderful responses.

Laurie