From:
Vicki McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:55:37 -0800

Regarding Ann's post, I too feel it takes a bit of mental adjustment to
spurn "the staff of life"--gluten.  I found on retrospect that the first 6
months-1 year I actually went through all the stages of grieving--denial,
anger, acceptance.  I didn't find peace of mind until I reached acceptance
and decided to let go of all the rest and accept this as a challenge to eat
as well as the rest of my friends and family.  I only cook GF with the
exception of cold cereal, wheat bread and wheat pasta for the non-celiacs.
My bread and pasta are tasty enough for the family, but frankly they're
more expensive and easily served separately.  I get asked for recipes
frequently by non-celiacs too so we must be doing just fine.  I'll admit it
was hard to cope with failed recipes from time to time as I learned how to
adapt regular recipes to my needs, but I suspect I had failures way back
when I first learned to cook as a kid.

The toughest is having to make arrangements for eating out at seminars,
conferences, and receptions, but with practice that gets easier too and if
you educate one food service person it might help the next celiac that
contacts them.

Vicki
WA state