From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:49:56 -0700

This whole discussion started when I felt remarkably better after
substituting my usual breakfast & snack foods of corn & sesame with sorghum
muffins.  I still don't know exactly what's making me feel so much better,
whether it's eliminating corn, reducing oxalates or reducing omega 6
(sesame).  I should monkey around with diet to see if I could figure it all
out, but I don't want to risk losing changing things & feeling worse!  I
just don't want to feel tired & achy for another day!  Not that I was in any
serious pain or anything, I just feel more energetic, more comfortable &
enthusiastic about... well ... everything!

Anyway, as one person wrote & told me that I might be feeling better because
I've reduced oxalates in my diet, I took a look into the low oxalate issue &
learned that reducing oxalates isn't that hard, for me at least.  I mostly
stick to the low & medium oxalate foods & take calcium citrate with meals.
Calcium citrate binds with oxalates in the gut so it reduces oxalate
absorption.  Anyway, following is some of the discussion I received about
oxalates & such in no particular order.  [And, as usual, my obnoxious
comments are in brackets.  For info on the low oxalate diet, just search the
web.  There's tons of info out there.]
Valerie in Tacoma
--------------------
Vulvar vestibulitis and/or Vulvodynia (personal location) can be made worse
by a high-oxalate diet.

I've had Fibromyalgia for decades (since a car accident at age 21 - I am now
60), and in my case, the Fibromyalgia triggered the vulvar pain problems.

Reducing oxalates helps the problems. I think uric acid, which is best
reduced for gout, converts to oxalates or has to do with their level somehow
- not sure. So I keep wondering if a uric acid reducer might help.

I find it impossible to stay low oxalate, but do confine myself to moderate
oxalate. Already so restricted, without eliminating everything with
oxalates.
---------------------
My first experience with oxalate came long before my dx of CD.  Because of
interstitial cystitis, a friend gave me a paper on oxalates and how they can
influence pain.  (I had also been dx with fibromyalgia.)  By totally
eliminating sweet potatoes for example, and then adding them in two weeks
later, I found that many foods brought on not only tissue pain but bone
pain.  If I really get a dose, my jaws ache and teeth become sensitive.
I try to stay as low oxalate as possible, howbeit difficult when you also
are GF and avoid dairy, soy and corn.  Rowan's resources has a rather
complete list of low/med/high oxalate foods.
---------------------
I would like to know if there is a difference in tolerance levels for white
and yellow corn.  I seem to tolerate white corn better than yellow corn and
I don"t know why.  I have been trying to find some white corn grits. ... RE:
  sesame oil, I am using much less now.  When I consume it, it makes my skin
dry and scaly.  Tahini is really acid producing for me---love it, but can't
handle the acid.
[I looked up the oxalate thing & found out that yellow corn is higher in
oxalates than white corn, and sesame is a high oxalate food, so perhaps this
respondant has an oxalate problem rather than an "acid" problem????]
I toyed with the idea of an OF [oxalate free] or LO [low oxalate] diet a
while back, as this is something that Kenneth Fine, MD recommends for people
who have inflammatory diseases.  But since I'm already on a GF, DF, EF,
diet,  I decided to give a nightshade free diet a trial first, since it is
less restrictive than a LO diet.  And I did have significant reduction in
inflammation with NF diet.