Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:58:08 -0500

I have just run across something I have never heard about and was
wondering if you all would enlighten me.  I had a customer come into
our bakeshop about an hour ago saying her doctor said she had Celiac
Sprue but only needed to avoid wheat.  She went online and read about
Celiac and everything she found said she would avoid gluten not just
wheat.  She called her doc back and he again said she only needed to
avoid wheat because she had a unique form of Celiac (a term he used
was "low ball"??)  So, of course, she is confused and now I'm joining
her ranks of confusion.

She was diagnosed via blood test only which was "barely positive".  I
have no idea what this means.

Does anyone know of a form of celiac where people need only avoid
wheat?  I've never heard of someone diagnosed with Celiac not having
to avoid all gluten in wheat, barley, and rye.  I'm wondering if
there is some other strains of Celiac or if we have a medical doc in
the Minneapolis area that may be misleading folks.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bren
Madwoman Foods