From:
"Eileen.Plichta" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eileen.Plichta
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:16:30 -0800

I just wanted to suggest a few ideas for Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday foods.
We have a Mardi Gras Buffet here at work, so I've been thinking about it
for awhile.

 I am planning on making my own version of "Muffaletta", which is
traditionally served as a sandwich: A loaf of Italian sesame bread,
olive salad (italian marinated salad made of mainly olives), white
cheeses and salami. You could make the classic Muffaletta sandwich with
gluten free bread, or make small servings on GF buns. You can assemble
them ahead of time, which allows the olive salad to marinate the bread
and cheese. I've made this in years past with a GF baguette, spread on
the olive salad and cheeses, sliced them into bite sized sandwiches,
secured with a party pick. It was a hit! I was also thinking that the
olive salad could be served on top of squares of gluten free cornbread,
if you can't find a good GF loaf of Italian bread. A friend of mine, who
is cutting out carbs suggested that I serve some of the Muffaletta olive
salad in small halves of tomato which are scooped out. What a great
idea! It could also be served as a filling for stuffed mushrooms or
peppers. You could even heat them up with melted cheese on top! Feel
free to adapt this recipe to be vegetarian or dairy free.

 Here is a few recipe for the Muffaletta:

Muffaletta Sandwich -adapted from www.ChefRick.com
Makes 6 servings

3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chopped green olives stuffed with pimientos
1 cup pitted and chopped "black-ripe" olives or Calamatas
1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers, chopped
1 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/3 lb. GF salami
1/2 lb. provolone cheese
1/2 lb. mild cheese
1/3 lb. GF mortadella
1/3 lb. GF prosciutto

1 loaf of GF Italian bread, with sesame seeds

Cook's note: The roasted red peppers are Italian-style, available at
many Italian delis.

Take one loaf fresh GF Italian bread -usually with sesame seeds (one big
round for a traditional Muffaletta or  individual  sub loaves will do
fine for smaller sandwiches). Cut the loaf ( or loaves) in half, and
scoop out a little of the inside to make some room.  Make the olive
salad by combining the olives and roasted pepper, garlic and vinegar.
Drizzle some of the olive oil and juice from the olive salad on each
side of the open loaf -- use plenty. On the bottom, place some salami,
olive salad, provolone, mild cheese, and mortadella. Top with the other
half loaf. Slice into wedges (or eat the individual loaves).

I am actually just winging my own recipe of olive salad with various
cans of olives, roasted peppers, and Bruschetta Sauce, and olive oil
from Trader Joe's, chopping everything roughly in my food processor. But
the recipe above looks really great! I am also skipping all the meats
and just serving with sliced or shredded Provolone and Swiss cheese.
(Both Trader Joe's and Jimtown make a great Muffaletta mix or Olive
Salad, but mine will be much chunkier.) I am also making enough for at
least 20 small servings.

For dessert, I am going to make a recipe from Bette Hagman. Her "Pecan
Bites" cookies are excellent for Mardi Gras. They are small flourless
pecan meringue cookies. Sorry, I do not have her recipe handy here at
work. But it's mostly egg whites, sugar and ground or chopped pecans. I
believe it is from her very first Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook. I will
try and send it out on Monday. These are a real hit with everyone!

Here are some other sites to check out for Mardi Gras recipes. Of
course, remember to adapt these to be gluten free.
Check out: www.chefrick.com
www.louisianacajun.com
www.southernfood.about.com
www.gumbopages.com