From:
Kris Platzbecker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kris Platzbecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:50:13 -0500

Thanks for all the responses about ordering from Schwan's.  Many of you
think that the company is a great one to work with and have always had good
luck ordering.  A bunch of you also state that you "order all the time".
Some items people mentioned ordering are:  steaks, fish, chicken breasts,
sherberts, veggies, diced chicken, fries, breakfast sausage links, and
hamburger patties.  A few noted they did try the burgers and steaks and got
sick on them.  They seem to be GF according to the ingredients, but those
people said getting ill once was enough and won't attempt them again.

As for the negatives, some of you think yes, maybe they have some GF stuff,
but the grocery store is cheaper so just get it there.  A few had no luck
getting straight answers from the company and just gave up.

Here's what I have found:  Schwan's won't guarantee anything.  They will
read you the ingredients over the phone, but have no additional information
on the source of things like natural flavors, modified food starch, etc.  I
was hoping their diced chicken really was GF, but in calling, they tell me
it has a modified food starch of an unknown source.  I won't be ordering
that and on that note, does anyone know of a diced chicken that is GF??

I will probably call on certain items, but they will probably be more along
the lines of their ice cream products since this is mostly for my celiac 4
yr. old.  I agree that most stuff you can get cheaper in a grocery store
and you have access to the ingredients right then.  I have enough places I
order GF food from.  Schwan's might not be one of them except for on rare
occasions.

Thanks for everyone's input :)
Kris in IL