From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:12:45 -0600

Earlier today I requested information on how to bake for a person that
is dairy free, soy free, and gluten free.   So many people responded so
quickly.  I did not include all the  exact responses but all the
suggestions are covered in these that I am quoting.  I have not been to
the store yet, but surely I can find some of these items.   I also
included a few other comments because I figure there are other celiacs
who will be interested.  Thanks to you all.
--------------------------------

Try Spectrum Organic Shortening at your local health food store. It's made
from palm oil (the safe version) and while it won't lend any good flavor
like Crisco butter-flavor shortening, your friend can enjoy it safely.
You're right, be careful with lite margarines. They have so much water that they don't work well in most baking.

MOther's margarine is an all corn product....check out other kosher products.  I
think Willow Run is also soy free. That one you can find in health food stores.

There is an all natural crico like veggie shortening in health food stores.  If you
have a Whole Foods near you, check them out....I have found they have the best
selections of products.
-----------------------
Mother's margraine made for Passover is the only soy free margarine.
Regular Mother's margarine has soy.
------------------------------
Smart Beat or Smart Squeeze liquid is g/f, c/f no fat and tastes good.

Many people who are cf/sf stock up during Passover (coming up soon) for the
year, since there are cf/sf margarines that are available during this time.
(Stores catering for Passover are starting to get their stock in as we speak
and when it is gone, it is gone.)  I've not done so, but "Mother's" is a
brand name that comes up.  On a day to day basis, there really isn't
anything commercially available that I've found.
-------------------------------------

You might think about using unsweetened applesauce.  I have heard that
it takes the place of margarine or oil.

Try coconut oil (available online) or palm oil. Both are hard
at room temp, and better for you for cooking. Palm oil
is available at Trader Joes, as "trans fat free shortening".

I use Oil Olive and Safflower oil.  For shortning I use Palm Oil, I use
Ener-G Foods bulk Palm Oil and Spectrums Palm Oil, sold in Health Food
Stores.
----------------------
I know you said that you did not want to try oils but for future
reference...replacing the butter in recipes with oil tends to work better in
a lot of gf baking.  It help with the moisture and reduces the grainy,
crumbly problem.  I am not familiar with dairy free stuff but you could try
---------------------------------
what about lard... it makes the best cookies.. biscuits
the GFCF diet there is a website by that address.  Good luck.
I am on a gluten free, soy free, dairy free, corn free diet
and I find it is not possible on this type of a diet to bake
recipes requiring a "hard" cooking fat since none are free
of all of these ingredients. I bake muffins, breads, and
scones using only organic Canola oil and they always turn
out fine, though I tend to bake only recipes that are quite
low in fat. My date/maple muffins come out quite wonderfully
with egg replacer, rice milk, and oil in a recipe that calls
for butter or margarine, milk, and eggs. So I think the oil
can substitute for muffin and cake-like products, but
probably not for something like cookies.
That should about do it, folks.