From:
Julie Postema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:17:18 EST

Hello everyone!
I got a lot of responses to my question, which I've included at the bottom in
case you don't remember what it is.  They were all very helpful and
encouraging.  Most people mentioned that even though it can take a long time
to get better, it's very much worth it in the long run!  The amount of time
people needed to feel better ranged from a week or less to a couple years or
more.  Quite a big span!  Many mentioned feeling a little better at first, but
not completely well for a while after that.

There were many suggestions that I could be intolerant to other foods as well
as gluten.  These things were mentioned as possible culprits:
   corn, eggs, lactose, soy, mushrooms, yeast, xanthan gum, guar gum, rice,
   tomatoes, white potatoes, sugar, and peanuts.
I also had many suggestions to go on a natural diet, or to eliminate sugar, or
sweet and acidic foods, also spicy, greasy or fried things.  If anyone would
like more detailed information on these suggestions, e-mail me and I can send
them to you.

Another problem could be that I have another disease in addition to Celiac.
Such as:  diabetes, systemic candida, intestinal lymphoma, microscopic colitis,
problems with the endocrine system or the thyroid.  Other possibilities were
refractory sprue, which cannot be healed by a gf diet(but is extremely rare), or
tropical sprue, which is basically the same except it's healed by anti-biotics
instead of the gf diet.

Many people mentioned keeping a food diary to pinpoint what is causing the
problem.  I am going to start that very soon.  Another common idea was that
the longer you have celiac before you go gf, the longer it will take to get
better.  One person said that it takes 90-365 days for villi to regrow.
The book 4 Blood Types, 4 Diets
   Eat Right For Your Type, by Dr. Peter D'Adamo
was recommended by two people.

This is all very helpful, but has also led to more questions for me, so I am
going to write that in another post, as this one is already getting long.
Thank you for the wonderful replies, especially since I didn't give much
information to go on!
Julie

Here is my original post:
"Hi!  I have been on a gluten free diet ever since I was diagnosed with Celiac
in October.  I am not getting any better, and thus I am wondering,  How long
does it usually take to start feeling better?