Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:00:27 -0700

Hi guys,

I really need some help here.  I've been gluten/dairy free for three
years.  One of those years I was the type of Celiac who ate at
restaurants (carefully) and didn't worry too much about cross
contamination issues.  I was very sick, and often.  I even ended up in
the hospital twice.  I was never formally diagnosed b/c I didn't want to
have to be on gluten for two months before the tests.

The last two years I haven't eaten in restaurants, nor have I eaten
anything except what came from my own kitchen or  very pure factories
(for instance I ate Newman's Own corn chips and Hellman's Mayonaise).  I
just never have been able to get better.  I have just been  losing
weight for three years.  I feel generally better than the first year,
but am still not able to hold down a regular job or take more than one
class at school per term.  I suffer with constipation, as well as
diarrhea, bloating and excruciating stomach pain just before and during
bowel movements.  I rarely feel as if I'm "done" going to the bathroom -
it's very uncomfortable.

Now I'm on a diet where I only eat whole foods  (meat, fruits/veggies,
rice & nuts) which I make dinners out of from scratch.  Although I felt
I was dying of starvation, I felt miraculously better for the first
three weeks.  Now I'm back to the whole constipation thing again.  You
can't imagine the amount of fibre I eat in a day.  It definitely is NOT
a fiber issue!  I also don't eat ANYTHING from a jar or bottle or
package except Hain Safflower Oil which I checked very very carefully
on.  I don't wear make up anymore (Im dying for some lipstick), and have
checked on my cosmetics and detergents over and over.  I don't lick
stamps, envelopes or anything else.  My husband, kitchen and dog are
even gluten free!!

WHAT IS GOING ON!?  Please, I am deperate.  I feel lost, I want a life.
I am only 23 but I feel old, like I'm dying.  I want to finish my
degree, work full time.  I want to have babies someday and raise a happy
family.  I don't think I can do any of these things the way I feel now.
I really need help.  I cry - sobbing - sometimes just because I can't do
this anymore.

I need some help, some guidance.  Thanks for listening.  Your support
really helps.  But ultimately:  ** Does anyone EVER feel better???**

Thanks,
Joanna Schroeder Pass

PS.  I've had all my blood levels checked: thyroid, blood sugar,
carotene etc.  Everything is normal as it always was no matter how sick
I was.