From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:32:07 -0700

Just an update.  I went to the doctor this afternoon and was pleasantly
surprised.  My own doctor was ill, so I spoke with a young new doctor (female,
too, which makes me comfier), who seemed to understand about gluten and
approved my decision to avoid it, since it caused me so much trouble (in spite
of the fact that I don't have a doctor's diagnosis).  She also told me I was
doing a good job trying to ferret out food causes (soy was causing painful
blemishes, so I'm done with that), but that I shouldn't frustrate myself more
with thinking everything is diet-related.  She said that many woman in their
mid to late 20s (I'm 24) and into their 30s, too, often have acne trouble,
even if they never did as a teenager, and that doctors think it may be
hormonal changes.  She gave me two topical medications; one is an antibiotic,
since pores often get infected and then don't heal, she said.  I'm grateful to
her kind manner and that she didn't make me feel embarrassed in any way.  And
I'm hopeful that my skin will now improve and I won't have to cover everything
up before I go outside (I'm a natural kinda girl, typically).  She said most
of the problem is gone in four to six weeks and usually stays gone except for
occasional blemishes. Yay!

I encourage the rest of you who are having trouble and can't get to the bottom
of it not to suffer too long without talking to a doctor.  When drinking water
and eliminating suspicious foods don't clear it up, it's probably not related
and you should make sure it heals up and doesn't scar (and in the meantime
make your life less fun!)

Thanks for the great supportive messages from all of you.  I appreciated every
one and this group very much.

-Christie in Chandler, AZ