From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:54:21 -0700

Our family had a wonderful 4th yesterday.  We cooked out & everything
turned out so nice.  My guests raved about the food.  Near the end of the
meal, one of my adult sons, who has on previous occasion complained about
"gluten free crap" commented, "This was a gluten free meal, except for
the hotdog buns, and it was great!"   It was a simple meal to prepare.
Here are my recipes:

Grilled meats:  Prick chicken breasts & sirloin tip steaks numerous times
with a fork & marinate in Wishbone Italian dressing 3 to 4 hours.  Grill
chicken breasts 5 to 6 minutes on each side.  Steaks seem to take a
little longer.  The chicken was "to die for."  (You could make your own
marinade with lemon juice or vinegar, oil, minced garlic & onions, herbs
& spices, honey, etc.  I used Wishbone for simplicity's sake.)

Grilled veggies: Core & seed green peppers, red peppers.  Cut up zuchinni
in 1/2 thick diagonal slices.  Peel medium onions & cut in half.  Peel &
slice egg plant in 1/2 inch thick crosscut slices.  Brush all veggies
with olive oil.  Put veggies on a veggie grill sheet in grill. [It's a
black enameled metal sheet w/ holes in it. Available where ever grill
accessories are sold. I got mine at Sears.] Grill 3 to 4 minutes on each
side.  Season w/ salt & fresh ground pepper.  I haven't tried large
mushrooms prepared this way, but I'll bet they are delicious.

Potato salad:  Boil 12 whole potatoes.  Cool.  Peel & dice.  Mix
together: one minced apple, 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish, one stalk
chopped celery, 1cup minced dill pickles, 2 T Frenchie's mustard, about 2
cups mayonnaise, 5 chopped boiled eggs, chopped chives, 1 table grated
white or red onion.  Gently fold this mixture into the potatoes.  Chill.
Garnish w/ cherry tomatoes, parsley & paprika.

Corn on the cob:  Shuck & boil 20 minutes.  Drain, season with butter or
margarine & salt & pepper.  [No brainer!]

For dessert we had fresh cherries off our cherry tree & water melon.  How
easy can it get?

~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

PS      I grilled hotdogs for the kids who didn't want steak or chicken
breasts.  I don't know any GF brands of hotdogs or "brauts", so please
don't ask!  I don't bother w/ stuff like that or GF hotdog buns.  Ain't
worth it.  My 2 gluten intolerant sons & I just do without & enjoy
everything else.  I will, on occasion, make GF hamburger buns from
KinniKinnick bun & bread mix in pot pie tins.

        If you haven't invested in a gas grill, I highly reccommend them.  It
has taken me a while to really learn how to use it, but it's been really
fun & worth the effort & expense.   For best results, I also recommend
ceramic stones instead of lava rocks to avoid hot spots & flames.