From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:24:57 -0800

Hi All--

Almost a month ago, I asked ya'll for suggestions for
good gf pizza - recipes or premade. A couple of people
asked me to summarize, but my situation at the time
prevented me from putting a summary together.

So...this is a mini-summary, plus some notes for
anyone, but especially celiacs who experience the
trauma I experienced before Christmas.

First, I received almost 100 replies for gf pizza
suggestions. Many (probably half), recommended using
chebe bread mix; many sent me their own recipes (thank
you, thank you, thank you!); several use Kinnikinnick
pizza crusts; and almost everyone suggested prebaking
for 10-15 min. before adding toppings and/or brushing
the crust with olive oil before adding toppings. Two
or three people said they put the cheese on the crust
before the sauce to prevent sogginess. I am truly
sorry that I'm not able to give a better summary, but
I want you all to know that I thank all of you from
the bottom of my heart for your responses!

Now, my original post stated that I had gone through a
rather traumatic holiday and needed comfort food,
especially pizza. The trauma was having my car window
broken out and my purse stolen from my "locked" car -
I was at home and only away from my car 4 minutes. The
thiefs got my checks, a Visa bank card, one credit
card, my mobile phone that I used as my home phone,
and my driver's license. I was extremely lucky in that
I didn't *directly* lose any money, but I also had no
way to buy groceries or medication - my credit card
was cancelled immediately, as was my bank card, and
though I could have used my next batch of checks to
get food and medicine, I had no identification if the
grocery or pharmacy required it.

Though this applies to anyone who becomes a victim of
identity theft, it is especially important for celiacs
who require special food. This type of incident can
also be considered a "disaster." *Always* keep a store
of food separate from what you normally use! I still
do not have new checks for my new account other than
the few counter checks my bank printed for me (this
happened Dec. 23), still no bank card. I do have a new
credit card, but I won't use it unless it is an
emergency.

In addition to always being prepared with gf food, be
prepared to possibly need medication to get you
through the trauma. Two days after this happened, I
came down with something - a sinus infection that I am
still taking antibiotics for (six weeks total). Stress
reduces the integrity of the immune system, so be
prepared.

I know most of us don't think of being victimized and
the consequences that come with needing special food
in this situation. We can envision hurricanes, fires,
floods, earthquakes and terrorism. Add theft to the
list.

I am spending next week away from work and the
computer to continue "damage control," but I wanted
you all to know how much I appreciated your responses
for good gf pizza and to extend to everyone on the
list the advice to start collecting food and medicine
to be prepared for a disaster if you haven't yet done
so.

Cheers,
Ayn/Kansas