From:
Dennis Stoltenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:23:41 EST

Thanks to all who responded to my posting regarding DeBoles corn pasta and
Hunts Spaghetti sauce.  I received 23 postings, in addition to experiences
with the above products, that related corn intolerance (4), tomato
intolerance (1) possibility of cross contamination (1) and advising that they
always rinse pasta before cooking (1).

The pasta experiences were pretty clear cut.  Twelve reported using the
product with no adverse reactions.  One respondent made the point that
DeBoles also produces wheat products but did not know if they have
contamination issues.  Mentioned as favorite/prefered pasta brands were:
Tinkyada (2), Bi-Aglut (2), Dr. Schar (1), Pastariso (1) and Rice Innovations
Inc. (1).  I also have eaten a second serving of the same DeBoles Corn Pasta
from the same box (with no sauce) with no reaction.

The Hunts Spaghetti Sauce responses were less clear.  Five (5) reported using
the product with no problems and four (4) reported reacting to Hunts and
cannot use.  Prefered/favorite brands mentioned were; Five Brothers (1),
DelMonte (2), Ragu (2), Prego (2), Kroger (1) and using Hunts sauce and paste
to make own sauce (1).

Two respondents reported contacting Hunts.  One contacted them earlier this
year and was told the "regular spaghetti sauce in the red can" was GF but was
not sure about other flavors.  The other contacted Hunts just recently and
was told "Hunts tomato sauces are all GF, except the Tomatoes with Green
Chilis which has vinegar in it that some will react to."  Also, that their
ketchup, BBQ sauce and spaghetti sauces are NOT GF.