From:
Karl V. Huebner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:04:21 -0400

Or  ... Do I pay too much attention to what comes out....

A few months ago I was suffering from passing large particles of undigested
foods, primarily veggies, in my waste products (hereafter referred to as
"stool") This was painful and it was to the point that I was bleeding from
the constant abrasions. And except for the undigested foods, my stool was
"soft" (and no I did not touch it....)

I had been taking Fosomax for about 4 months at the time. I felt a
little (nagging) pressure under my left rib cage. My MD told me that it
was acid reflux, took me off the Fosomax and prescribed Merck's
Prilosec. I had not associated the pressure with "heart burn." (I'm a 47
year old male white who was diagnosed at the age of 40 and have tried to
remain gluten free. I only recently started taking calcium pills ... and
I mix up the combination, taking several different ones each day. None
of them seem to get the calcium from the same source, all claim to be
the one that makes the calcium the most absorbable) To speed up the
process... I never had this problem before. Yes I used to pass pieces of
undigested corn once in a long time but nothing like what I was being
subjected to. And as 24 years old living in Vancouver, B.C., I was a non-
cooking vegetarian.

It is now cleared up. It fact, my stools are ... normal. Harder than at
any other time since, oh, about 38 years old (it took a bit of time for
me to get diagnosed) I do blame and credit my MD for getting my system
out of whack (he had to... I don't want "brittle bones" ... because my
profession is a little on the physical side juvenile corrections... I
work at Marion Juvenile Correctional Center, the Super Max in Ohio) He
is a good doctor who was up to speed on Celiac's before I walked through
his door.

Most of the e-mails were requesting information. Some said that my digestive
system was out of sorts and made suggestions. I don't know if they were
right or wrong, but is does sound a little strange (to my uneducated logic)
to put non-acids into your stomach when claiming that the stomach acid isn't
working right or to add acids to your stomach ... if it is your bile that
needs building up. I think I will leave it to the professionals out here to
figure it out.

So here are severely chopped up segments of the e-mails I received.

It the lack of Chemicals that is the cause of the problem "Maybe you
need a little help in digesting your food by using a food enzyme
preparation with your meals.....your stomach acid is no longer strong
enough to digest your food. This is a condition that is not associated
with celiac disease in any way. Weakening of hydrochloric acid in the
stomach is a normal process of aging in most people." "I too was passing
undigested veges. ... Started taking a digestive aid and it all went
away. I take one called Dygest. .... Ingredients are as follows -
Protease activity 620,000 units Amylase activity 20,000 units Lipase
activity 1600 units From Pepsin, pancreatin, ox bile, papain.

Peppermint 50mg betaine hydrochloride 90mg" "I do all the time and that
is one reason I'm looking into the celiac thing.  Only I can't get
diagnosed officially since I've been off of grains except for accidents
for 17 years. It probably does mean malabsorbtion. My naturopath says I
need enzymes...." "You can easily correct this condition with the use of
a very common substance you can easily buy at any health food store at a
minimal cost. The stuff is called Betain Hydrochloride."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It's the veggies who are to blame...

The human digestive system even in healthy individuals can not digest the
outer cellular level of certain vegetables" "The worst culprits are
tomatoes, raisins and corn." "some cooked veggies, especially
carrots, are undigested." "I've had to go off all grains, dairy(including
butter), soy, beans, and peanuts (legumes), and all seed oils and their
nuts." "For me this is an indication of a gluten accident, with salads in
particular."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It's the valves who are to blame (AKA "leaky gut" 3 replies) "I have had
and still do have this problem. You have leaky gut and need to get
yourself tested for food allergies ASAP. Here's the "vicious cycle.""
Something damages your gut (injury, gluten, NSAIDS or combo thereof),
this source weakens your intestinal walls and food starts to slip
through, then your body sees this food and says what is this stuff?????
Then programs your body cells to see it as a foreign body to attack and
it cannot since it doesn't know how so it makes it's way through your
body and out in your feces. This programming is what causes food
allergies. If you don't deprogram your body, your immune system will
remain compromised and cannot heal your gut and therefore the vicious
cycle continues."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It is just the way it is.... (rationalize the problem and it might go
away) Several responses were of this nature.... "a puzzle, will be
interested to know what else you have gotten in responses. ""I find that
is a natural thing for me..." "....I thought perhaps it was because
certain foods just couldn't be broken down all the way" "I have that
problem, too, and it's a terribly embarrassing thing to talk about (my
GI is a REALLY handsome man! hehehe!)" "Hi, I experience the same thing
from time to time. Sounds strange to be saying such things, but I think
it is normal for most of us to have that. Why? I am not sure." "...I was
60 years old before knowing what a normal bowel movement was. If you've
been diagnosed celiac, stick the diet. It takes time to heal."

Thanks for all who replied.