From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:31:00 -0400

I am very new to parenting celiac children. I was diagnosed as an adult and
found the switch very easy.  I didn't eat baked goods, candy, processed foods
or fast food in my pre-GFCF days so other than reading labels more intently
and giving up cheesecake  life went on pretty much as normal.

Now I am faced with two little Silly Yaks who also have to be casein-free.
Suddenly I am at a loss. It is easy as an adult to just ignore the food around
you but it isn''t fair to my four year old twins to expect them to do the same.

If you had to recomment one or two of your most important resources for
parenting children with CD, what would they be?

How do you handle birthday parties and food?  Do you find out what the
hostess will be serving and  bring your own GF (or GFCF) duplicates?

What do you do at things like Daisy Scout Meetings?  DD is a Daisy and the
moms have to take turns bringing snacks.  Is it fair of me to ask the moms to
stick to fresh fruit and veggies?  Most of the moms in the troop are friends
but a few are new to us and I really don't want to impose on them.

how do you handle invitations to eat dinner at other people's homes.  We're
inundated with invitations to dine at friends' homes during the High Holy
Days and I don't know how to handle the food issues tactfully especially since
gluten hides in so many places and people don't really understand that the
children and I can't even tolerate a microscopic amount of gluten or casein.
thankfully most of the meals will contain meat so we will only have to worry
about gluten at the HHD meals.

This is a question for Lubavitchers.  Many of my friends are Lubavitch and we
are Conservative.  I keep a kosher home but am not fully Shomrei Shabbos,
nor do I keep pas Yisroel.  Is there a way for me to be able to bring my own
GFCF challah into their homes without affecting the integrity of their kashrut?
Is there a source to by Pas Yisroel GFCF baked goods?

thank you

Sherene in Norfolk