From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:49:02 -0700

Hi Listmates:
I want to pass along a discussion that I had today with a representative at Silk which is manufactured by WhiteWave.
I called because I had never used their almond milk and I needed to know if the PureAlmond (original) flavor was gluten free. The packaging says it is lactose free but doesn't mention if it is gluten free. She assured me it was because they don't use any ingredients that contain gluten. Then why, I asked, can't gluten free be printed on the label? Her answer was that the US Government doesn't require a label for gluten free but it does for lactose free products. I was astounded! It seems to me that gluten is more of a health concern than being lactose intolerant. I asked if it would be possible to pass along to their marketing people that celiacs want and need to see gluten free printed on packaged products that manufacturers know don't contain gluten.
Mary in NH & currently in AZ