From:
Peggy White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:42:58 -0500

Hi
I have not seen my doctor since before being diagnosed, and have ABSOLUTELY LOVED her for all of my adult life, BUT I discovered that she doesn't really know a whole lot about cd.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, based on what I've read and heard . . . Thanks, Peggy

Anyway, your suggestions:

Have your doctor check your liver enzymes as part of the blood work - I'm
assuming you will have blood drawn.  My liver enzymes were "slightly
elevated" before I went on a gf diet.  About a year later they were normal.

My cholesterol was up before I went GF (went dramatically down after only 3
months of being GF).  If you don't normally get this checked,  definately do

My dr. checks me every six months and orders a CBC and complete metabolic
panel.  These tests cover blood health, liver and kidney function.

Be sure you get checked for all essential mineral and vitamin levels in your
blood (since malabsorption is a huge issue, especially calcium and the B
vitamins).  I would also keep a close watch on platelets and on thyroid,
since these are two very common auto-immune conditions from which a lot of
us suffer.  I had a major sugar imbalance after being gf for a year or two,
but that did not show up on a conventional blood sugar measurement, so I
don't know what to suggest for that in terms of conventional medicine.  It
was an "environmental allergist" who figured that out and who suggested how
to fix it.  It has made a very large difference in my health and wellbeing.

Since you have been g.f. for a year, the doctor should make sure any abnormal results, from deficiencies to elevated liver enzymes or whatever else was a problem, are now normal or much improved.

Now would also be a good time to rerun the blood tests to check for dietary compliance.  Those results should be much closer to norm that testing done when you were diagnosed.  Some have no reaction to traces of gluten.  Now is a good time to find out if you are one of those.