From:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:04:24 EDT

Hi everyone,

I have a theory (theory's are not proven scientific facts) about my recently
diagnosed dry eyes. I'm wondering if my dry eyes are yet another lovely after
effect of celiac.  (I am a fanatical gf eater but still I've recently had to
start fosamax, though I continue to absorb adequate iron).

Anyway, right after my eye doctor told me I have the dryest eyes he's ever
seen in his entire career, he asked me if I have any problems digesting food
(I already told him I have celiac, but I guess he didn't fully comprehend
what that meant).  Anyway, when I explained futher, he informed me that
vitamin A is essential for the eyes to be able to produce the correct type of
moisture for eye health and suggested I eat a serving of raw carrots every
day (vitamin A deficiency is a common cause of dry eye, usually found in
third world countries.  Some medications can also be responsible).

There is also a syndrome called "sjogren's" and it is an autoimmune condition
that can initially cause dry eyes and dry mouth but can affect connecitive
tissue (arthritis). I'm not diagnosed with that yet, and I'm hoping the
carrots and artificial tears can help, but if you are experiencing any of
these problems, look up www.sjogrens.org.

Also, I'm wondering if this is particular to me, if other celiacs have dry
eyes, and I'll be waiting to see if increasing my natural supply of vitamin A
will improve things.  AND, I'm wondering if this "sjogren's" syndrome is
another link in the evergrowing types of conditions that can result from
undiagnosed celiac.  Just a theory folks.

Jenn in Illinois