From:
Rebekah Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebekah Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:49:29 -0500

First let me say how wonderful all of you have been in responding to my
dilemma. I'm starting to feel slightly better and imagine it's uphill from
here. I ended up taking the advice of some and not going to fluids only. I
did however put a spin on the suggestion of plain rice at the suggestion of
a friend who is Thai. We made a very simple Ginger sauce (as it's good for
the GI tract - or so I've heard) and put it on rice and have been eating
that for meals. I also made some Ginger tea and sipped that for most of the
night. This seemed to really help. It managed to calm the stomach cramping
and got me through till the pharmacy opened this morning and I could pick up
called in prescriptions based on others suggestions. I will now keep on-hand
some Hyosyamine suggested by my GI (for the stomach cramping) and Lomotil
(for diarrhea) because I never plan to have a repeat of the last 5 days.

Thanks again

Rebekah

Summary below:

mentioned the probiotics and L-Glutamine at meals to heal faster.

bulk forming foods with some acidic foods to restore my system. As well as
keeping my fluid intake high. A few responses recommended I stay away from
GF specialty foods and milk products.

Over the counter recommendations were:

anithistimine to reduce the "allergic" response - 1

Metamucil - 1

Pepto Bismol - 1

Alka Seltzer - 1

Immodium AD - 2

milk thistle (known for detox) - 1

Kaopectate - 1

zantac 75 -

aloe vera juice - 1

Prescriptions :

Lomotil - 5

cholestyramine oral suspension powder - 1

Other suggestions:

Heating pad on the abdomen - 1

Sending  me to other resources or the archives - 4

Almost everyone said 2 weeks for my system to return to some semblance of
normal.

In addition I had a few people tell me about a bug going around that
apparently has the same symptoms as a gluten reaction and passes after 3-5
days.