Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:12:08 -0500

	We recently were guests at the Shoshone Lodge and has a very
pleasant experience.  The area outside the park entrance on the east side of
Yellowstone national park is much less developed than the west or south
entrances.  There are not any fast food outlets, groceries or restaurants,
just a handful of lodges set back from the road.  I was concerned about
eating in such a remote area, but did not have difficulty.

	Shoshone Lodge was built back in the 1920's by the great-grandfather
of Mike Christiansen who lives on-site and runs this "dude" ranch, which is
three miles outside of the East Yellowstone entrance.  There are about 40
horses for trail rides, which were wonderful.  The cabin we were in was cozy
and cute with a microwave and small refrigerator.  (We did pack a small
collapsible soft-sided cooler and brought food from Jackson Hole, Wyoming.)
The lodge serves breakfast and dinner. This is an old-style dude ranch, very
family oriented and more of the focus is on horses than manicured
landscaping.  I probably should have mentioned to my older children about
the lack of cell phone service!  (There is a television and internet service
in the lodge, and Mike is glad to hand over the house phone with an 800
number.)

	Evidently a relative of Mike has Celiac Disease and efforts have
been made to educate the cook and staff.  I had gluten-free pancakes, eggs
and bacon at breakfast.  We ate at the lodge one evening and I enjoyed the
biggest ham steak in my life.  They did offer GF oatmeal as well and made me
a GF cake.  The portions are hearty and the prices are reasonable.

	The one hour drive into Cody, Wyoming was just beautiful.  There are
6-7 fast food places on the main road in Cody and several restaurants.
White water rafting on the Shoshone river (Class II-easy) was great, and the
Buffalo Bill museum is top-notch.

	We brought picnic lunches while in Yellowstone.  Mike will fill your
cooler with ice before you head out for the day if you would like.

www.shoshonelodge.com

Sharon