Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:38:16 -0500

 To date there has been no clinical based responses to my questions - a
lot of subjective answers and many people asking me to summarize my
I will try and research on my own. Thanks for all your help

I have not seen a study that clearly explains it, but there is plenty of
evidence that it is true.

In the case of certain viruses, as Juliane said, there may be some sort
of confusion in the immune system, with a small portion of the offending
virus resembling something on the gluten molecule.  I am one of many who
was quite clearly triggered after contracting an intestinal infection.

Still others are triggered by varied stesses such as surgery, pregnancy
or emotional turmoil, none of which would fit that theory.  What makes
sense to me is that these stresses stimulate the immune system response
so that it goes into overdrive, so to speak, becoming more active and
sensitive.  It overreacts and becomes sensitized to gluten if it's in
its genetic programming to be able to do this.  Once it happens, the
immune system is imprinted for life to react to gluten with an
inflammatory response.

I understand your daughter's concern.  Unfortunately, other than doing
her best to maintain good health by common sense measures like eating
well, exercising, and practicing relaxation techiniques, outside of
living life in a bubble, there may not be any way to prevent the
triggering from occurring.  On the other hand, reasearch is progressing
apace to develop a vaccine or some other way to prevent this from
happening, so that the celiac rersponse is never generated.

have searched high and low for that answer a while ago... and at least
at that time there was no known reason that stresses trigger... but they
do.

Even normal life changes can trigger... like pregnancy! An acute virus
or trauma can tigger CD if one has the gene.

So I Think Eventually Everyone Who Has the Gene Will Get CD! :(
Martha Murphy ~who thinks its murphy's law~

I have not seen a study that clearly explains it, but there is plenty of
evidence that it is true.

have searched high and low for that answer a while ago... and at least
at that time there was no known reason that stresses trigger... but they
do.

Even normal life changes can trigger... like pregnancy! An acute virus
or trauma can tigger CD if one has the gene.

I have had cd symptoms all my life. I had a dysfunctinal childhood which
probrably triggered it. But it went really bad when I got inot a
stressful marriage and lost both parents within two years

         <http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=38806.10>
<http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=celiac&ctx=&cach
eTag=9-4&msg=38806.6#a6> 38806.6

Eli started having symptoms of Celiac just one month after starting
wheat, which can either be because he didn't have Celiac disease until
then or because it took that long for there to be enough damage to have
a digestive reaction. We noticed he seemed to be "thinning out" before
he started with the constipation and diarrhea. So, I think he may have
had Celiac disease since before he started solids.

Maybe it was his birth -- he was in "fetal distress" and was born blue.
His cord was very tight around his neck. He was breathing enough to give
a little whimper. Then again, he had his share of colds his first
winter, so maybe it was that. Who knows.

All I do know is that Xander (my 3 year old) had the flu less than 2
weeks ago and has not had a normal bowel since then. He was fine during
the flu. It's been since getting over it that he's had diarrhea. I
really hope it's just coincidence. Maybe he got a little stomach bug
because his immune system was taxed after having the flu...