Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:17:44 -0400

June 26, 2001

Dear List Member(s),

This reply is in reference to:   Summary of recommended GF antacids

I feel I must enlighten you to some facts that are true in the United States
of America, perhaps not other countries, but then I live in the USA so I am
aware of only those items that can be purchased here.

The statement in the summary of antacids:  "One person told me that she
has heard Alka Seltzer Gold is nothing but cornstarch and baking soda.  No
comment on that one."

I can comment on that.

It will be a great day when any and all can look at a ingredient list and
know what the listed ingredients are and where they originated.

I no longer buy or use Alka-Seltzer Gold, which my allergist recommended
some years ago, he told me he did not know why it worked for some but it
did.  I spent that extra money and bought it and it did work when I was
over-exposed to chemicals.

Years later after being diagnosed with all my food intolerances and
allergies (Corn being one of my allergies) I noticed right there on the
'Gold' box the ingredients which I believe did not have a lot of listings
but, what was there was Corn Starch and the word "Sodium Bicarbonate".
I looked that up in my Dictionary being that I was curious what it was.

SODIUM BICARBONATE - a weakly basic salt, which liberates carbon dioxide on
heating and when combined with acids.  It is used in Baking Powder,
Effervescent Salts, as an Antacid and in fire extinguishers.

I have not bought a box of 'Gold' in over 4 years, so I do not know what
the listing on the ingredients is at this date.  But when I did buy it
last the ingredients did list at least the two ingredients stated above.

Now for the ingredient list on regular Alka-Seltzer that is in my
possession - Aspirin, Heat Treated Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid.

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine which is in my possession has the listing of
several cold relief type drugs and then lists as Inactive Ingredients -
Artificial and Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Tableting
Aids.

Now on my purchased box of Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda, I buy it in a 10
pound box, the ingredients:  100 percent Sodium Bicarbonate U.S.P.

The last time, less that one week ago, I made more baking powder, the three
ingredients on that recipe:

1.  Cream of Tartar
2.  Potato Starch Flour
3.  Baking Soda
.

My logical conclusion to all the information I acquired from my research,
dictionaries, packaging labels, recipes.  I find, that I did not hear
(heard) I found that Alka-Seltzer is Baking Soda.  Now they do add aspirin
to the regular Alka-Seltzer and the Gold does not have aspirin, and the cold
remedy ones have added drugs for symptom relief for colds.  And lets not
forget all the fancy packaging that must be paid for at the time of
purchase.

Your Welcome for your time,
Robin in Florida