Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:28:51 -0500

Have any of you heard of epilepsy drugs that are corn free as well as
gluten free?

My mom is taking Dilantin for her grand mal seizures, which are apparently
caused by celiac disease. Unfortunately, she has developed a sensitivity to
corn and Dilantin contains corn starch. She has had the runs for two weeks,
has traced it to corn, and would like to find a substitute drug.

The doctor's method of finding drugs doesn't include allowing for
allergies. What we do is this: He suggests a drug. We ask the pharmacist,
or if that fails the manufacturer, about the inactive ingredients. We find
out the drug has corn or another allergen, and start all over again. He has
already tried different formulations of Dilantin, as well as Depakene and
Tegretol.

The doctor is frustrated and mother is about to choose seizures over the
runs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Martha Newton
Los Angeles