Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:43:21 -0500

Gluten Free Camp 2006
"It was the best week of my life!" "Can I really eat everything on the
table, even the
rolls?" "Can I stay for two weeks next year?" These are some of the
comments from the 20
gluten free campers attending GIG Kids Camp at Camp Kanata in June of 2005.
And, maybe
even more telling: "Can we have some of your cookies," from one of the
non-gluten free
campers.

GIG Camp at Camp Kanata was a great success last year, with over 20
participants from
all over the South East, and many local volunteers. We are excited to
announce that the Triangle
Gluten Intolerance Group and GIG, in partnership with Camp Kanata, a YMCA
Camp near
Raleigh, North Carolina, will be sponsoring a week of gluten free
residential camp again this
summer. Gluten Free camp will be from June 25 ? July 1, 2005. This week is
Super Hero week
at Camp Kanata. All kids on a GF diet will be part of the full camp
program, but will be served
gluten free food prepared under the supervision of a registered dietician.

To register, please see the GIG website (www.gluten.net) and look under
“Events” for the
Kids’ Camp description. You may find out more about Camp Kanata on its web
page
(www.ymcatriangle.org, under Camp Kanata). We ask that you direct your
application through
GIG and Camp Kanata so that we are able to obtain some additional
background. If you have
any questions or wish further information, please contact Rose Kenyon at
[log in to unmask] or at 919-821-6629 (w) or 919-872-5790(h).

Volunteers Needed! In order to make this camp happen, we need volunteers in
various capacities as follows:
? Advance Baking. We need help with some advance baking of items such as
dinner
rolls.

? Kitchen Staff. We rely on volunteers to staff the GF kitchen who are
available for
part or all of the week of camp. It helps to be able to devote parts of
several days so
that we are sure that everyone is adequately trained and well coordinated.
Tasks
include: food preparation, packing snack boxes for the cabins, helping
serve during
meals, etc. The work is not complicated and you do not need to be a great
cook!!
You will get plenty of help and supervision. For those who are interested
from outof-
town, we are able to arrange home stays with local volunteers.

? Order Foods from GF Vendors. Through GIG's efforts, many GF vendors are
willing to donate food. We need help in placing orders for the specific
items we need
and contacting the vendors. This work will need attention in April and May.

? Advertising and Marketing. We still find that many CD kids do not learn
about
camp. We need help in contacting other support groups and pediatric offices
to tell
them about the camp opportunity.

? Host Families. We may need a few volunteers who would be willing to host
some
folks who may travel from out-of-town to help during camp itself. In the
past, the
volunteers have been delightful people and a pleasure to get to know.

If you are able to help or have any questions, please contact Rose Kenyon at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or at 919-821-6629 (w)
or 919-
872-579)(h).