From:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:48:39 -0800

My original question was to ask for suggestions to help the blisters, severe burning and itching my 22 year daughter who is Celiac (as is one of her brothers and me) gets from the DH she also manifests. The blisters, itching and burning lasts a very long time and are quite rough for her to deal with and she asked for suggestions. She is off 100% GF the best she can, and in fact she is grain free ( Paleo by her choice) and is off any bath products with gluten. Cross contamination does happen, unfortunately.

Thanks you everyone! Here are the replies and some are not included which were repetitive of others:

1)She needs to get a prescription for fluocinonide
cream.  I use it sparingly, rub it in well, a couple times a day, then the
rash is gone after two or three days.
2)Applying cornstarch to the rash would help with the burning and itching.
3)High iodine content (it activates stored IgA).  The best stopgap: Caladryl. Topical bendaryl, works for mosquito bites too, and doesn't make you sleepy.
4)My husband's dermatologist gave him a mild steroid topical cream to help speed up the healing of those same sores. He gets them occasionally as well, probably from accidental gluten. He uses the cream very sparingly and it only takes 2 or 3 days to get results.
5)I use old fashioned Calamine lotion- that pink stuff for poison ivy. (I tend not to use drugs, if possible.) Too much iodine can also trigger a break-out, I have found.
6)We have to use GF soap, shampoo and EVERYTHING GF.
7)Check this out for treatment http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002451/
8)Has she tried the glutenease enzyme? Not sure it would help, but worth a try, I think.
9)I have had some luck with calendula ointment ---also have very good luck with constitutional homeopathy, which requires time and patience and a good homeopath
10) there is a drug, used for leprosy, that can be taken to prevent the blisters from forming.  It's called dapsone, or dapsome, and can help. Check with your MD.
11) if I keep my B12 level above 550, I don't have the burning nerve pain. Yes, doctors will tell you anything above 250 is normal, but they'll also tell you many things about celiac that are just plain wrong. Sufficient B12 is critical for normal nerve function, and insufficient B12 can lead to very painful nerve problems.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002403.htm   Read up on B12, get a level checked, and if it below 500, consider B12 supplements and see if the burning pain decreases. It did for me.

Thank you Again Everyone!
Tina Turbin

*******
*******