From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:23:49 -0600

Hi Kay,

You wrote the following:
>A relative was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis - it was however
>the rare form and involved the brain.  Does anyone know if following
>a gluten free diet helps in the treatment of this autoimmune disease?
>Thanks for you help, Kay

For a number of compelling scientific reasons, I have long held that
patients with any autommune disease ought to first be tested for celiac
disease and gluten sensitivity. Even if the tests prove negative I would
encourage her or him to try a gluten-free diet just in case it proves
helpful.

I ran a Medline search on sarcoidosis and celiac disease. I got thirty-two
hits and have taken the liberty of appending below those that appeared
relevent, either on the basis of the abstract, or on the basis of the
title.

best wishes,
Ron Hoggan

1:  Sjoberg K, Wassmuth R, Reichstetter S, Eriksson KF, Ericsson UB,
Eriksson S. Gliadin antibodies in adult insulin-dependent diabetes--
autoimmune and immunogenetic correlates.Autoimmunity. 2000 Dec;32(4):217-28.
2:  Papadopoulos KI, Sjoberg K, Lindgren S, Hallengren B. Evidence of
gastrointestinal immune reactivity in patients with sarcoidosis.J Intern
Med. 1999 May;245(5):525-31.
3:  Loche F, Bazex J. [Celiac disease associated with cutaneous sarcoidosic
granuloma]Rev Med Interne. 1997;18(12):975-8. Review. French.
4:  Reunala T, Collin P. Diseases associated with dermatitis herpetiformis.
Br J Dermatol. 1997 Mar;136(3):315-8.
5:  Papadopoulos KI, Hornblad Y, Hallengren B. The occurrence of
polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type III associated with coeliac disease
in patients with sarcoidosis. J Intern Med. 1994 Dec;236(6):661-3.
6:  Boruchowicz A, Wallaert B, Vandermolen P, Colombel JF. [Sarcoidosis and
the digestive tract]Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 1994;18(12):1119-28.
7:  Papadopoulos KI, Hallengren B. Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type
III associated with coeliac disease and sarcoidosis.Postgrad Med J. 1993
Jan;69(807):72-5.
8:  Sorokin R, Licht H. Diarrhea presenting as a rare manifestation of
sarcoid.Am J astroenterol. 1990 Sep;85(9):1197-8.
9:  James DG, Sharma OP. Overlap syndromes with sarcoidosis. Postgrad Med J.
1985 Sep;61(719):769-71.
10:  James DG, Sharma OP. Overlap syndromes with sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis.
1985 Sep;2(2):116-21.
11:  Lowe G, Johnston RN. Sarcoidosis and coeliac disease. Lancet. 1984 Sep
15;2(8403):637.
12:  [No authors listed] Sarcoidosis and coeliac disease. Lancet. 1984 Aug
18;2(8399):408.
13:  Douglas JG, Gillon J, Logan RF, Grant IW, Crompton GK. Sarcoidosis and
coeliac disease: an association? Lancet. 1984 Jul 7;2(8393):13-5.