From:
Nikki Vane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:44:38 +0000

Following my recent post about Organic Liquid Sugar being sold in Tesco
supermarkets in the UK, I received one rather offensive and high-handed
mail from a list subscriber (who is not coeliac himself). He suggested
that my posting was incorrect and I had got my facts wrong.

So, for the record, I feel I should clarify things. Here are the details
from the label on the product (which looks like golden syrup in a plastic
bottle):

"OAO Organic Liquid Sugar
Ingredient: certified organically grown wheat starch

Organic wheat syrup
This organic wheat syrup is very high in so-called complex carbohydrates.
These gradually provide energy to the organism. No sugar has been added the
product owes its sweet taste exclusively to the carbohydrates that the
cereal naturally contains. Ideal for pastries, yoghurt, pancakes or hot
drinks, or as a spread on bread or OAO multigrain cakes.

WSL-Bio Rode Kruislaan, 77 avenue de la Croix Rouge, B 1020 Brussels
Product of Belgium
Starck
Lima Expert
40 years of experience in organic food"

Having been diagnosed as coeliac last year (following a long period of
severe illness) I am not irresponsible, I follow a strict gluten free diet
and am very careful what I eat - checking all labels and ingredients.

From the details on the label of this product I would certainly not eat it
nor would I recommend it for fellow coeliacs/celiacs. I hope this posting
helps!

Nikki, London UK