From:
MBNorris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:18:23 -0700

I had wonderfully helpful responses to my query about
traveling to London. I am sorry to be slow summarizing. I had circumstances out
of my control. Thank you to each one of you who responded to my query. I am sending this in parts. I haven't summarized in a long time, but remember there were sometimes problems. If it doesn't show up right, hang on, I'll figure it out.
~Karen
Broussard of the Gluten Free Travel Site did a set of blog entries on her
family's visit to London around Christmas and New Years this year.  I
think she posted them in January 2014.  Lots of good suggestions.  We
didn't do a hotel but got a flat through Airbnb (about same cost as hotel but
so much more room and very basic cooking facilities) so I could cook and keep
control over what was in my food.  Most all of the grocery stores have a
"Free From" section where GF food was available.  Have a great time.
~I do indeed have some information to
share with you. Our family spent 10 days in London over Christmas this past
year. I wrote a 10-part Blog series on Gluten Free in London, complete
with restaurants recommendations in each area of London; links to the reviews
I'd posted on my website, GlutenFreeTravelsite; and maps. It is sort of a
day-by-day briefing of what sights we visited -- and the options for eating in
that area. Most recommendations are very budget-friendly as I mention in one of
my first posts, since we were traveling with our 10-year old and 12-year old
boys. If you are looking for more "fine dining" options, those are
available, too, as we'd learned through our research before the trip. All in
all, London is a VERY gluten-free friendly city. And there are many, many
options for all the gluten free essentials at area supermarkets.

Here's the link to my Blog posts, which
appear in reverse order.

http://glutenfreetravelblog.typepad.com/gluten_free_travel_blog/gluten-free-in-london/

The first one (at the bottom) gives a
nice overview, and the second one from the bottom specifically discusses our
choice of hotels. We were very pleased with our hotel. I used a travel agent
we've used many times over the years, and I recommend her on our website. While
not gluten free herself, she has developed quite a specialty in booking trips
for her GF clients. She has quite a following -- many happy GF clients! She had
several places to recommend in London (depending on where we wanted to be and
the type of hotel we were looking for), so I'd highly recommend giving her a
call. It doesn't cost anything to use her services, and in fact, she ended up
getting us a GREAT rate on the hotel and also arranged a private transfer from
the airport to the hotel.  It's in the post, but her name is Lesley
Hayden. She's with Travel Leaders agency, and her number is 800-487-6110. Her
email is [log in to unmask]

I hope this helps. Please let me know
if I can answer any other questions for you!

Karen Broussard
Founder and President, GlutenFreeTravelSite
703-585-3386

~We stayed at the Collingham Serviced Apartments. Had a kitchen
and was within walking distance to train and food. Lots of GF options in
London. Carluccios was our favorite.

~There are Indian
restaurants all over London. All their curries are
gluten-free. The pappadam is GF. Many of the appetizers are GF. No
reason to choose where you stay based on restuarants. For
accomodations I would try airbnb.com

~London is great for
gluten free travel! Nearly every grocery store has a good selection in their
Free From aisle of good gluten free foods.
Costa coffee shops which are everywhere have GF treats.
Caffe Nero also have GF sandwiches.
I always eat well in London with little preparation and always have unexpected
GF finds, lots of pubs and ethnic restaurants have options or can accommodate
easily.
Because we have family in London we often stay in Feltham, quick and cheap bus
ride from Heathrow. We stay in a really affordable Travel lodge, it is basic
and decent and cheap! There is a train right there that is a 30-40 minute ride
to Waterloo, hop on in the morning and spend day in London and then back to
Feltham in the evening. The Travelodge is sort of in a mall with an ASDA
grocery store, a pub and Nando's which all have GF!  Enjoy London!

*******
*******