From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:20:00 -0600

Hi all. In an attempt to not have to bake myself a birthday cake, I just
talked to the folks at Baskin Robbins (1-800-331-0031, number 3) trying to
figure out the gluten status of their ice cream cakes (the kind without
"cake," just ice cream). The rep I talked to told me that their decorating
vanilla (the base white frosting) is gluten free, but you should check with
your local Baskin Robbins about the frosting that they use to decorate the
cake - apparently that can vary by region (and the main office doesn't have
the information).

Also, the rep alerted me to two flavors that are available right now that
*contain* gluten (even though these flavors don't have the danger trigger
words in their names - cookie, brownie, cheesecake): Triple Chocolate
Passion and Quarterback Crunch (I guess crunch is on my personal danger
list, but maybe not everybody's!).

She was unable to tell me what was in their S'Mores ice cream, which is
listed in the CSA GF Product List but sounds suspicious. The reason - it's
not an active flavor for this year and isn't on their system.

The local Baskin Robbins store owner with whom I've been working has been
extremely helpful, and I hope we can track down the ingredients in the
decorating frosting (or I'll go with a plain "cake") so that I can give him
some business!

Chris
Minneapolis, MN