From:
Bill Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:50:49 -0800

Hi all,

   First, I'd like to apologize for my earlier ranting on Jif Peanut
Butter.  My statements were unfounded and are dangerously close to
slander.  I was upset at the time because I was having an anaphilactic
reaction at the time.

   Second, I do not believe that my reaction was due to flour in their
roasted nuts used to make the peanut butter. (not to say that there
might not be...).

   I recieved many responses to my post ranging from "Are you sure it
was the peanut butter?" to "I've had similar problems with xxx."

   Many reported to me that they have had Jif for years without any
reactions.

   A few asked me if I thought I might be allergic to either peanuts or
apples.  My brother is alergic to legumes (peanut family) so I didn't
want to believe it at first.  Cooler heads prevailed and I tossed all
legumes into the trash bin.  For the past 3 days I have not had a single
bad reaction to anything, and have not had either peanuts or apples.

   A couple of others told me to go to the local health food store to
have peanut butter made in their machine.  They told me that this was
one way to be sure that there was no flour in the butter.  I would like
to comment on that and state that if the peanuts that they use are
roasted there may be flour on the nuts, so be careful.

   One poster told me that he reacted to molassas in the same manner.

   I am going to wait till the end of the week and then try an apple.
Then I'll know exactly which food it was that I reacted to, but I am
sure that it is the peanut, now.

   Again, I am sorry to have reacted so poorly.  I should have waited to
post till I cooled down.

Bill Kane
Normal, IL  USA