From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:24:58 -0400

Sherill Roberts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>    My father's sister, who is 80 years old,....is not in good
> health....My father asked her recently if it's possible she may have
> had CD all along, but she emphatically denied it....
>    2) If so, if she were your aunt, would you say something to her at
>       this point in her life, or would you just let it go?

There was an older woman in our support group that died about a year
ago.  She had been diagnosed with CD about five years earlier, and
joined our support group shortly thereafter.  She, too, had a colostomy
several years earlier.  From her symptoms it seemed rather likely that
she had suffered from CD for many years before it was finally
diagnosed.  (To this day I have my suspicions about whether or not that
colostomy had ever been necessary.)

After she died our group received a letter from her husband, thanking
us for all the help and support.  Though saddened by her death, in his
letter he rejoiced in the last five years of her life.  With her
diagnosis, she was able to recover sufficiently to allow them to
travel and enjoy themselves.  It's obvious that her husband is glad
they didn't just "let it go" when the idea of CD was brought up.

Sometimes, you don't know how bad you've been feeling until you start
to feel better.  It is only then that you realize how poor your health
was.  It will, of course, be your aunt's decision; but I certainly
would advocate screening for CD.  (But keep in mind I am NOT a doctor.)
Fearing the hassles of a GF diet is not a reason to avoid finding out
whether or not you have CD.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA