From:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:02:20 -0800

Hi,

Here I am jumping in again.  Just last week I inquired at a large Asian store near my home about rice flours and cross contamination.  Communication was a bit of an issue, but I'm pretty sure the manager understood the gist of my question.  He said that in southern China (and I suppose Indonesia), it is too humid to grow wheat.  Wheat is grown in northern China.  So it stands to reason that rice flour from the southern areas would be OK as long as it is processed locally.  If wheat won't grow, does it follow that barley, rye, and oats don't either?
It would be great to have actual documentation.

As Stephanie's recent summary mentioned, asian rice flours are inexpensive and milled very fine.  I am going to investigate this more, and invite anyone else who has friends who speak Chinese to help research this question.  We need to actually find knowledgeable Chinese contacts who can help us get written confirmation for at least a few brands from particular areas in the southern parts of China that can be counted upon to be GF all the time.

However, considering the Tsunami tragedy and the emergency mode in which Asian food suppliers may be operating at this time, this matter may, (and should) be lower priority for them.

If anyone wants to help get written documentation (probably through friends who know Chinese), I would be happy to take private emails from list members and do the summary.

I suppose the final step of caution might be random testing to confirm, if it seems likely that these flours are usable.

Olive Kaiser

Mrs. Olive Kaiser
Gluten Free Tools
www.geocities.com/glutenfreetools
877-456-7704
877-888-6033 fax

Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can
share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact
a well informed medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.
Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.